CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, May 19, 2008

Normal

I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm on a guess a tirade, but of well. As many of you know I am a worker in a home health company that works with special needs persons. Tonight we called my sister, Helen, cause she's pregnant and was getting tests done. The doctors told her from the tests results it looked like she has an 80% chance of having a child that is either mental retarded or developmentally disabled. The only way to be certain of this is to take a sample of the amniotic fluid, which may cause false labor, total labor, or miscarriages. Since the fetus isn't developed enough yet in the womb it's a bad idea because most likely total labor would occur and she'd have a premature child, which surviving would be uncertain, especially if in deed the child is disabled. My brother in law, Justin, is refusing to sign the papers to allow the test and wants to go full term and wait til birth to see if the child is disabled or not. My sister is upset that she's not going to have a "normal" child. I kinda went off on her saying that there's no such thing as a perfect or normal child and if she does has a disabled child that it shouldn't matter and to love it completely, even more. I told her that I work with some of the smartest, kindest, and caring people that I know, and my co-workers are great too! I take care of a man that has an A.A. in psychology. I don't even have that, I only have a high school diploma! The only reason he's in our services is because he has C.P. and can longer completely take care of himself. I got into this field because one I have a cousin that is D.D. and I went to see him once in the poor house and I was ashamed of how the nurses and staff were treating him, I wanted to make a change! Two, and this is the biggest one, I read a book. It was called Petey and written by Ben Mikaelson. I suggest to everyone and anyone to read it. Took me a day and a half to read the first time, and only a few hours to read the second time. I wish I could find a hard copy. But anyway I told her that I've devoted the last 3 years of my life to helping people that it was selfish for her to expect anything less the a child born into a home that is caring, loving, and understanding regardless how the child is. By the end of the conversation she was crying and I yelled at her that I hope she did have a child is disabilities so that she knows just how great they are, and threw the phone at my mom. There is no such thing as "NORMAL" or "PERFECT" and there never will be. God never gives someone more then they can handle.

1 comments:

Everlasting tales of Joshua said...

I am sorry to here that your sister is so against different people. If she can't accept that there is not one person in the world that is perfect except God then I can't see her as a fit mother